Friday, August 15, 2008

Crystal Kay loves m-flo - I LIKE IT (radio edit)

Name: Crystal Kay loves m-flo
Song: I LIKE IT
Label: Epic Records

Released: 2003

Genre: Pop

Style: Electropop, Sugar
Language: Japanese
Format: MP3 / 320kbps

Version: Single

Time: 4:00


I got my hands on several Crystal Kay samplers a while back and they're unique in the sense that several include radio edits. Which is great in the case of "I LIKE IT", a pretty decent song, but the original length of 5:46 is ridiculously annoying (J-pop songs in general are too long in my opinion). After m-flo's original vocalist LISA left to pursue a solo career, VERBAL and TAKU decided to turn the once trio into a duo with a rotating vocalist. The first choice - Crystal Kay (VERBAL had already worked with Kay on her "Ex-Boyfriend" song and TAKU composed "hard to say"). They recorded a dual single release - one featuring Crystal, and another featuring m-flo. Unsurprisingly, both sound similar. "I LIKE IT" is an effervescent piece of electronic pop with extra doses of happy all around. Crystal and VERBAL exchange playful raps, too. This was the turning point of m-flo's style and it took me a while to warm up to it. Not the strongest of m-flo's collaborative singles, but definitely not the worst.

1 comment:

joannawnyc said...

interesting. I actually like the japanese radio edits, though. I don't mind the longer length (usually)

Blog Archive